The search for new materials is a line of business which encompasses paper and plastic production technologies, the development of pigments, additives, inks and quality control. The Company's achievements in this area include:
- Selecting materials for plastic document manufacture which provide a service life of up to 10 years.
The Research Institute of Goznak is the only organization in Russia able to carry out ID-1 and ID-3 document durability testing.
- Choosing and developing materials with special properties to embed into paper, ink and polymers for greater security. These security features can be identified both visually (colour change when tilted) using special devices.
As a rule, Goznak now offers customers complete solutions including security features and a device for its verification. If the security feature is supplied to another manufacturer, an additional laboratory quality control device is provided. The Research Institute of Goznak develops special feature control devices.
- Technology for producing paper resistant to wear and soiling. Using these kinds of paper leads to an increased product circulation service life.
In addressing this problem, the technology for producing polymer-coated banknote paper with embedded polymer fibers was developed.
- Anti-bacterial treated paper for the Bank of Russia banknotes .
It was proposed to use a special additive with disinfecting properties in paper production. Being a polymer, the substance is firmly and durably fixed within the paper structure and protects the paper against bacteria for 5 years. The antibacterial banknote paper developed at the Research Institute was approved in sanitary-epidemiological assessment by the Federal Supervision Agency for Consumer Protection and Human Welfare.
- Adding special features to paper for products which are to be later personalized. The properties allow the use of various methods of applying images: laser, inkjet, thermo transfer etc. Moreover, the blank documents also contain images using other printing methods (intaglio, offset or screen printing), and a set of security features.
- Developing automated video systems for paper quality control, security thread embedding and product printing. At the same time, equipment is being moddernizedand improvements are being made to the technological processes. Many of our security features can’t be checked visually, and for that reason industrial quality control systems are paramount.
Ten of the innovative materials developed in-house are currently patent-protected.