The History of Money Exposition has shifted to the permanent operation schedule 03.10.2016
The exposition is dedicated to the history of currency circulation in Russia – since ancient times until the 21st century. Over 2,500 exhibits are on display at the two-level exhibition space. Unique objects from the collections of the Special Fund of Goznak and Munzkabinett of the Saint-Petersburg Mint form the basis of the Exposition.
Many items are demonstrated to the general public for the first time – in particular, projects of the state banknotes of the model of 1843, a project of the state banknote with the value of 5 roubles of the model of 1909 with the autographs of P.Stolypin, Chairman of the Council of Ministers, and Emperor Nikolay II, project drawings of the soviet banknotes of the 1920s – 1940s, trial coins of 1995 and 1998. There are extremely rare items in the exposition – for example, the silver rouble of 1654, gold chervonets coins of 1701, 1711, 1925; the state assignation with the face value of 25 roubles of 1769. The visitors will also be able to see unique tools for coin and medal minting of the 18th – 20th centuries applied at the Saint Petersburg Mint. The visitors will see what a million of roubles consisting of 1-rouble coins looks like – the Million Installation is the absolute dominant of the display area.
The modern 5-kilogram gold and silver commemorative coins occupy a special place in the exposition. They are the heaviest commemorative coins ever minted in Russia. The face value of the gold giant coin is 50 thousand roubles, it was minted in 2010 on the occasion to the 150th anniversary of the Bank of Russia; the face value of the silver coin is 500 roubles, it was produced in 2012 within the framework of the “200th Anniversary of Victory in the Patriotic war of 1812” series.
Special sections are dedicated to the history of the enterprises of Goznak and the artists of Goznak. The exposition will help visitors to improve their banknote authentication skills and learn more about the modern payment systems.
Besides money – banknotes and coins, including unfulfilled projects, various moneyboxes, purses, decorations of coins are on display in the exposition. Topical videos and interactive installations have been prepared for the guests. Another peculiarity of the exposition is a complex information and reference system enabling the visitors to display information about the exhibition sectors and view images of the objects on the screens.
The official opening of the History of Money Exposition took place in July 2016 in the presence of Anton Siluanov, Minister of Finance of the Russian Federation, and Arkady Trachuk, General Director of Goznak. For a few months the exposition operated according to a temporary schedule and accepted organized groups only. Since October, it shifted to the permanent schedule. Now the History of Money Exposition is open every day (except for Thursday) since 10.00 a.m. till 8.00 p.m. The cash office is open till 7.30 p.m.
Individual visitors may observe the exposition by themselves or take advantage of a guide (excursions are carried out according to the schedule, preliminary booking is not necessary). Preliminary booking is necessary for organized groups (telephone +7 (812) 324-14-68 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org ).
The site of the History of Money Exposition of the Mint Exhibition Center: http://museum.goznak.ru/ .
For reference: The Peter and Paul Fortress occupies an important position in the history of the Russian money turnover. The coin production site was founded in Trubetskoy Bastion in 1724 by the order of Peter the Great. That was how the history of the Saint Petersburg Mint (now a Branch of Goznak) started.
The Mint still operates in the Peter and Paul Fortress, in the building in the Cathedral Square built at the beginning of the 19th century specially for coin minting.
In the 1960s a number of other buildings located within the territory of the Peter and Paul Fortress were given over to the Leningrad Mint; including the building of Anninskiy Cavalier as well as the House of Fund Assets opposite it.
In 2007 auxiliary services and warehouses of the Saint Petersburg Mint were moved outside the Fortress, Anninskiy Cavalier and the House of Fund Assets were vacated of equipment, coin blanks, spare parts and materials. At the same time Goznak carried out a restoration of the historical buildings. The works (including the restoration of Golovkin Bastion) were carried out according to the project of "Lenproektrestavratsia" Institute taking into account all the requirements of the Committee on State Control, Use and Protection of Historical and Cultural Landmarks of Saint-Petersburg.
After the restoration works were completed, the History of Money Exposition was created and its funds were organized.
Press-Service of Goznak