Goznak has opened the History of Money Exposition in the Peter and Paul Fortress 1 июля 2016 года, 13:48
Goznak has opened the History of Money Exposition in the Peter and Paul Fortress
On the eve of the official opening, in the evening of June 30, the History of Money Exposition was demonstrated to the participants of the 15th International Financial Congress; Elvira Nabiulina, Head of the Bank of Russia, was among the guests.
The Bank of Russia, the State Hermitage, the State Historical Museum, the Russian Museum, the Ethnographical Museum, the Russian National Library, Russian companies, the Union of Bonists of Russia and in particular Pavel Zolotarev, a Moscow collector who donated unique objects from his own collection, rendered great assistance to Goznak in the work upon the exposition.
The History of Money Exposition is dedicated to the history of currency circulation in Russia from the ancient times till the 21st century. Over two and a half thousand exhibits are displayed in the two-level exhibition space almost a thousand square meters in area.
The visitors will see the first Russian coins minted in the country; they will hear about the mysterious “coinless period” of the 12th – 14th centuries. They will learn why the coins of the 14th – 15th centuries had an unusual oblong shape and follow the history of the silver kopeck appearance. They will see the coins of the times of Peter the Great and the first platinum coins… The guests will be able to have a glimpse of a mint and a paper factory of the 18th century. They will learn the reasons for founding the Expedition of Storing State Papers in 1818. They will see "opium money" and "morzhovkas" of the Civil war.
There are extremely rare items in the exposition – for example, the silver rouble of 1654, gold chervonets coins of 1701, 1711, 1925; the state assignation with the face value of 25 roubles of 1769.
Many items are exhibited for the first time – in particular, projects of the state banknotes of the model of 1843, a project of the state banknote with the value of 5 roubles of the model of 1909 with the autographs of P.Stolypin, Chairman of the Council of Ministers, and Emperor Nikolay II, project drawings of the soviet banknotes of the 1920s – 1940s, trial coins of 1995 and 1998.
The visitors will also be able to see unique tools for coin and medal minting of the 18th – 20th centuries applied at the Saint Petersburg Mint.
The modern 5-kilogram gold and silver commemorative coins occupy a special place in the exposition. They are the heaviest commemorative coins ever minted in Russia. The face value of the gold giant coin is 50 thousand roubles, it was minted in 2010 on the occasion to the 150th anniversary of the Bank of Russia; the face value of the silver coin is 500 roubles, it was produced in 2012 within the framework of the “200th Anniversary of Victory in the Patriotic war of 1812” series.
The Million Installation consisting of a million of 1-rouble coins is the absolute dominant of the display area.
Special sections are dedicated to the history of the enterprises of Goznak and the artists of Goznak. The information about the modern payment systems and banknote authentication may increase the financial competence of the visitors.
Various moneyboxes, purses, decorations of coins are also on display in the exposition. Dozens of topical videos and interactive installations have been prepared for the guests.
The modern technologies enabling one to obtain detailed information about the exhibits and view their images in scale with the help of the informational and reference system were fully applied in creating the exposition.
Great restoration works of Anninskiy Cavalier and the adjoining buildings carried out by Goznak preceded the exposition creation.
It was no coincidence that there appeared an idea to create the display area in Anninskiy Cavalier, the former arsenal of the Peter and Paul Fortress. The Peter and Paul Fortress occupies an important position in the history of the Russian money turnover. The coin production site was founded in Trubetskoy Bastion in 1724 by the order of Peter the Great.
According to Peter’s idea, the mint was to become a model enterprise equipped with modern machinery and experienced specialists complying to the status of a European capital, as he intended Saint Petersburg to be.
The Emperor’s idea was fulfilled. For almost three centuries, the Mint in the Peter and Pal Fortress has been striking the Russian coins and producing the state awards. The high quality of its products is well known not only in Russia but also all over the world. There has not been a more or less important event in the history of our country not reflected in the products of the Mint.
The Saint Petersburg Mint, the oldest enterprise of Goznak still operates here, in the Peter and Paul Fortress, in the building in the Cathedral Square built at the beginning of the 19th century specially for coin minting.
In the 1960s a number of other buildings located within the territory of the Peter and Paul Fortress were given over to the Leningrad Mint; including the building of Anninskiy Cavalier as well as the House of Fund Assets opposite it.
In 2007 auxiliary services and warehouses of the Saint Petersburg Mint were moved outside the Fortress, Anninskiy Cavalier and the House of Fund Assets located opposite it were vacated of equipment, coin blanks, spare parts and materials. Goznak carried out a restoration of the historical buildings and overall beautification of the adjoining territory. The project of "Lenproektrestavratsia" Institute took into account all the requirements of the Committee on State Control, Use and Protection of Historical and Cultural Landmarks of Saint-Petersburg.
After the restoration works were completed, the History of Money Exposition was created and its funds were organized.
The total volume of investments (including the restoration of the buildings and the exposition preparation) amounted to about 500 million roubles. All the works were financed by Goznak.
Since July 4, the History of Money Exposition will operate according to the temporary schedule – only for groups and according to preliminary booking.
The start of working with individual visitors will be announced additionally.
The History of Money Exposition of the Mint Exhibition Center:
Peter and Paul Fortress 3 letter "Ш" (Anninskiy Cavalier), Saint Petersburg
+7 (812) 324-14-68
The history of Anninskiy Cavalier
Cavalier (French: сavalier – a horseman) is an accessory structure inside the bastion built higher than its walls.
The first earth cavalier was raised in the narrowest place of Golovkin Bastion in 1705. Under the project of Burkhard Christoph von Münnich, a military engineer, in 1731-1733 a stone building of the cavalier was built in its place; it acquired the name Anninskiy in honour of Empress Anna Ioannovna. Enforced with the cavalier, Golovkin Bastion became the strongest bastion of the Peter and Paul Fortress.
Anninskiy Cavalier was surrounded with a ditch on three sides. To lift the weaponry to the combat area, in 1795-1796 the cavalier was connected with the left flank of Golovkin Bastion by means of an arched brick bridge that replaced the initial wooden ascent.
The cavalier acquired its present appearance as a result of rebuilding that took place in 1836-1837: the facade setting was changed, the brick breastwork was abolished, a sloping iron roof was constructed instead of the combat area. In 1837 the cavalier was adapted for an artillery arsenal - a storage building for military trophies and weaponry.
During the Great Patriotic war, the building was damaged with fragments of shells and bombs. At the beginning of the 1950s it was restored and in 1961 the building was given over to the Leningrad Mint.