The oldest mint in Russia is 290!12.12.2014
The almost tercentenary history of the Saint-Petersburg Mint is inextricably intertwined with the history of Russia. All key events of the life of our country are reflected in the products of its craftsmen. Military victories, political, social, cultural events are imprinted in coins, awards, commemorative medals, tokens.
Peter had planned the foundation of the mint in Saint-Petersburg since the beginning of the 1720s already. On February 27, 1721 “His Tsarist Majesty noted in the Senate: “For the monetary business to be more prosperous and for better discretion of the orderly model, the gold coins in Saint-Petersburg should be minted in the fortress”. It was a logical continuation of moving the Russian capital to the city on the Neva.
On December 12, 1724 the money redistribution was started in the casements of Trubetskoy Bastion of the Peter and Paul Fortress. In Russia the whole cycle of coin production, as well as premises (workshops) where coins were minted had been called money redistribution traditionally since the 18th century till the 1930s.
According to Peter’s intention, the mint should become an exemplary enterprise equipped with modern machinery in accordance with the status of a European capital, as he had planned Saint-Petersburg.
There are all reasons to claim that Peter fulfilled all his ideas in full measure. The Saint-Petersburg Mint has been minting coins and producing state awards in the Peter and Paul Fortress for almost three centuries and since the beginning of the 19th century in a building specially built for in. There hasn’t been an important event in the history of our country that wouldn’t have been reflected in the products of the Saint-Petersburg Mint.
The history of the Saint-Petersburg Mint preserves the memory of outstanding medalists, artists, scientists, engineers, engravers, craftsmen who have worked within its walls at various times. It would take a lot of pages just to mention their names. Including Jacob Reichel, an artist and a great numismatist, whose collection is the basis of the numismatic collection of Hermitage. He was the author of the sketch of the famous “Konstantin’s rouble”, one of the most singular and expensive Russian coins.
Ivan (Johann) Schletter worked here, he was an outstanding scientist and organizer who strained after creating the Laboratory of precious metals separation which helped Russia to overcome its dependence on precious metal export. Russia had purchased not only gold and silver but also copper abroad. But by the end of the 18th century Russia started using only its own metal for coin minting.
The great artists and medalists Timofey Ivanov, Karl Leberecht, a representative of one of the most illustrious families in Russia Feodor Tolstoy, Pavel Utkin, Anton Vasyutinsky had worked at the mint in the Peter and Paul Fortress in various years… The artists and medalists of the Design Center of Goznak lead by the People’s Artist of Russia, an Academician Alexander Baklanov continue the traditions laid by their predecessors.
Since the very beginning and today still the products of the Saint-Petersburg Mint have been noted for their high quality of the artistic design and minting skill known not only in Russia but also around the world. Many prizes won by commemorative coins with the mark of the Saint-Petersburg Mint at respected international competitions and festivals prove it.
The Saint-Petersburg Mint has been a part of the enterprises of the Russian Goznak since 1941. At the beginning of the war it was evacuated to the Urals, and coin minting and the production of state awards was started at the premises of the Krasnokamsk Paper Mill immediately and continued till 1946. But already in the spring of 1943 the mint in the besieged Leningrad resumed its operation. It was here that medals “For the defense of Leningrad” were struck, and in 1944 subsidiary coins was resumed.
The Saint-Petersburg Mint is the oldest in Russia and one of the largest enterprises in the world producing coins and medals. It possesses modern equipment, cutting-edge technologies, unique specialists, great experience and carefully preserved traditions.
The enterprise received its historical name – the Saint-Petersburg Mint – in 1995. The trademark «ËÌÄ» (the Leningrad Mint) was replaced with «ÑÏÌÄ» (the Saint-Petersburg Mint).
Today the enterprise in equipped with modern machinery for the production of products of any complexity level and geometric configuration. Various technological know-how are applied successfully – minting of assembled products of two and three parts, with cover plates and inner inserts of nonferrous alloys and precious metals, technologies of laser matting, hand painting with silicate enamels, application of high and deep relief on “proof” coins…
The specialists of the enterprise have mastered the technologies of minting coins with the weight of 1.55 g to 10 000 g (in purity) and with the diameter of 12 – 170 mm.
The Saint-Petersburg Mint successfully competes in the world market of coin and medal manufacturers. Products with «ÑÏÌÄ» trademark are well known and very popular in the world. It is enough to remember the series of commemorative coins issued by the Bank of Russia within the framework of “Sochi 2014” programme; their development and production was a new step in the development and perfection of the medal art.
Incorporated in the Federal State Unitary Enterprise “Goznak”, the Saint-Petersburg Mint is one of the most important strategic enterprises of Russia.